Your users will create their account using the simple membership plugin. When they log into their account via the simple membership login page, bbPress will recognize that user.
You will be able to have any of the following combination of setups:
- Keep all the forums open except a few specific forum topics. Only members will be able to view the content of those topics.
- Protect an entire forum so all topics in that forum is accessible to members only.
- Have some forums open to everyone and some forums available to members only.
- Have some forums (and all topics of that forum) accessible to certain membership access levels.
Installing the bbPress Forum Addon
- Click on the “Add New” menu under the plugins interface.
- Go to the “Uploader” tab and upload the swpm-bbpress.zip file
- Hit the “Install Now” button and then activate the addon
bbPress Forum Integration Usage
Step 1) Enable the Integration
After you install the addon, go to the following settings interface:
Simple Membership -> Settings -> Addon Settings
Check the “Enable bbPress Integration” option and save the settings.
Step 2) Apply Protection to Your bbPress Forum or the Topic(s)
There are two way you can apply protection:
- Protect a bbPress forum (the forum and all the topics inside that forum will be protected)
- Protect individual forum topic(s)
i) Protect a bbPress Forum
This option allows you to protect the forum and all the topics inside that forum for members of a particular membership access level.
When you create a bbPress forum (or edit one) from your WordPress admin interface, you can specify the protection settings of the forum. Scroll to the bottom of the forum editor page where you will see a section for the simple membership protection settings.
Visitors who do not have permission to view a this forum (or the topics inside this forum) will be shown the bbPress private message like the following:
ii) Protect Individual Forum Topic(s)
This option allows you to protect individual topics from a forum. This is useful if you want to keep most of the topics of a forum open except a few selected ones.
Edit the forum topic in question and then set the simple membership protection settings for that topic.
Visitors who do not have permission to view that topic will be shown the bbPress private message.