Just like before, you can create a Stripe ‘Buy Now’ button to sell your memberships using the Simple Membership Plugin, although now there is also the option to create an SCA compliant Stripe ‘Buy Now’ button. This new option allows our European users to continue to enjoy the Simple Membership Plugin while complying with new online rules and regulations regarding collection of sensitive information. For those who operate out of Europe, you can either choose to use the SCA or Non-SCA compliant ‘Buy Now’ button options.
What is SCA Compliance?
SCA for short also known as Strong Customer Authentication is a requirement of the EU Revised Directive on payment service providers (such as Stripe) within the European Economic Area. The requirement ensures that all electronically received payments are performed with multi-factor authentication, to increase the security of sensitive information.
How Can I Create a SCA Stripe ‘Buy Now’ Button?
The process to create an SCA compliant ‘Buy Now’ button is much the same as before. The only major difference is you will choose the Stripe SCA Buy Now button type as opposed to the original Stripe Buy Now button. For those that wish to create the original non-SCA-compliant Stripe button, simply choose the Stripe Buy Now option.
- Click on ‘WP Membership‘ and then on the ‘Payments‘ menu.
- Click on the ‘Create New Button‘ tab.
- From there choose the ‘Stripe SCA Buy Now‘ checkbox and click ‘Next‘.
- You will need to give your button a title, choose the related membership level from the drop-down menu, a payment amount and a currency.
- You will then need to enter in your test and live Stripe Publishable and Secret keys into the corresponding fields. It is important to make sure you paste the right keys into the right fields. These keys can be found in your Stripe account under the ‘Developers‘, ‘API keys‘ menu.
- Choose if you would like to ‘Collect Customer Address‘ and/or add a ‘Return URL‘. After a successful payment with the Stripe SCA ‘Buy Now’ button, the customer will be returned to your website so it is a good idea to have the return URL as your website’s general thank you page. This completes the payment flow nicely.
Does an SCA Stripe Buy Now Button Look Different?
The SCA Stripe ‘Buy Now’ button can be added to any post or page just like the regular Stripe ‘Buy Now’ button. On a page they look identical although once clicked they follow a slightly different path, both using the Stripe payment gateway.
SCA Compliant Buy Now Button Flow of Events
Once a customer clicks on a SCA compliant Simple Membership ‘Buy Now’ payment button, they will be automatically directed to Stripe’s website (Stripe Hosted Checkout) to complete the payment. While your customer will not know any different, this allows the payment process to entirely comply with new SCA regulations. The payment details required are:
- The customer’s email address
- The customer’s card information
- The customer’s country or region
Once the customer clicks the ‘Pay’ button, if the transaction is successful they will be directed back to your website or to the after payment redirection URL.